Monday, December 10, 2012

Lessons from the Mountain Bike (Part 2)

This is a continuation of the post,  Lessons from the Mountain Bike (Part 1)

Life Lesson # 3) Pick a Line and Commit.

Sometimes when riding along a rocky dirt road, there are no clean-cut paths. A rider must be able to read the trail and pick a line - the smoothest, easiest, most efficient way to move forward. Once a line is picked, commit to it. I remind myself to keep my eyes focused on where I want to go, and let my bike flow.

I liken this to the times when I have to make a game-changing decision in life. A crucial choice needs a surrender and commitment. And once a choice has been made, I should see it through, accepting the consequences, trusting that everything will turn out for the best.

Life Lesson # 4) Fall Down. Get Up.

My first off-road ride let me have a taste of my very first "semplang". I ended with a nasty gash on my knee and bruises on my legs. I don't think anybody got good at riding without some kind of mishap. When it happens, you dust yourself off, get up, check for broken bones and if there are none, get up on the bike and keep on riding.

In life, we fall too. There are failed projects, broken relationships, lost jobs, lost money, lost loves. When disaster strikes, we grieve. But we do not wallow and sink into hopelessness and despair. We get back up. We  keep living.

Life Lesson # 5) Take a Break

Stop the bike, take off your helmet, have a gulp of your power drink and a bite of your riding snack.
Sit down and have a conversation with your riding buddy. Breathe the fresh air and take in the beauty of your surroundings. Saddle time will be sweeter after this breather.

We don't have to be in constant motion. The natural rhythm of life is activity, rest, activity, rest. When life becomes too toxic, take a minute, five, a day, a week, a month. Step back and enjoy the view.

and lastly Life Lesson # 6) Trust the Bike

That section coming up ahead looks pretty gnarly. Just keep your wheel straight, feather your brakes and let it roll over those rocks. Easier said than done especially for newbies like me. But the "Trust the Bike" mantra has helped me get over the fear of uneven terrain. The mountain bike was built for rough play.

Life too can get pretty gnarly. But we are not alone. Trust God, a Higher Power, the Universe, the Source of Life. Something bigger than us can carry us through these rough spots, crevasses and ruts.  Have faith. Let life flow. 

1 comment:

*A&a* said...

e...what if i dont know how to ride a bike?
you know it though! :)