Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Zen Minion | On Minionship 2 (A Paradigm Shift)

This minion is having a paradigm shift on minionship.

In my last post, I was resigned to the woes of the workplace, taking consolation in my paycheck and claiming that having a ho-hum work life was okay as long as life after clocking out was rockin'. This could very well be true for some, if not most, individuals. But after a lot of introspection and self -examination, I realized that it is certainly not true for me.

What I know for sure: I do not want to be a day job drone. I want to shine. I want to contribute. I want to be engaged in my work - body, heart, mind and soul.

And the delightful truth is - where I am now, I can. I am a perfect fit for my job and my chosen field. The only thing that has been stopping me from shining is me.

This minion does not want to stay a minion. There is a latin word for it - Magis. Something more.

This minion wants to be ... a senior minion. A minion who is and has magis.

And it's not about climbing up the corporate ladder and getting a title and a raise.

It's not about being in a position of authority and having the leverage to change the system, even. ( Organizational change - the big, dramatic ones - must come from up top. Minions, at whatever level, have a limited circle of influence and must work within these confines.)

It's about connecting my personal truths with the way I view and do my work. The attainment of senior minionship will be a result of being joyfully engaged in my roles and in my duties.

My current restlessness stems from the dissonance of where I am now with the potential and promise I displayed as a leader - back when I was within the confines of a school campus. Out here in the real world, I allowed myself to be swallowed by fear - of the unknown, of rejection, of failure. I allowed myself to fall into complacency.

Enough of that. It's time to shine. It's time for magis.