Sunday, October 04, 2009

Eye Opener

The planet is broken.

Surely, these extreme weather conditions are the manifestations of an ecosystem gone out of balance. Decades of civilization, industrialization, globalization and all the other labels for "advancement" of the human race - these are the seeds we've sown. And THIS is what we are reaping - destruction of property, man-made structures, lives.

The earth is breaking down. What do we do?

The urgency of arresting the massive and accelerated decline of the environment is not so much about saving the planet. It's about saving humankind. The earth has all the time in the world. In time, it will renew and self-heal. All these forces of nature are coming down upon us as a result of our neglect and blatant disrespect. We, as a human race, brought this upon ourselves. Incomprehensible as it may seem, nature is just trying to restore the balance to the planet. And it is doing so by going on a rage - the way a fever inflames our bodies to fight infections. There must be a breakdown in order to have a breakthrough.

If we continue with our destructive ways, eventually mankind will be wiped out. Without man, destruction will cease. Then the earth will start to heal itself.

Obviously, we are not amenable to this arrangement. Therefore, we must do something.

The way I see it, the world is shifting. So must we. As the citizens of this world, there must be a change in the way we see our planet. The state of the earth is a reflection of our own condition. Humans, for the past decades, have become disconnected with true and genuine joy because of greed, consumption, of acquiring material things.

The question is, what good are all these things we accumulate if our planet is dying? What good are all these when they can be destroyed in the blink of an eye by a flash flood? What good are all these when our lives are in peril?

I think now is the time to consider and really think hard about the consequences our actions have on the planet. It's time to assess our consumption habits, the amount of waste we accumulate and the way we dispose them. Let's help Mother Nature restore the balance. Let's work with her, not against her.

It's time to treat each other with compassion and kindness. It's time to realize that we are first and foremost citizens of the World. All other titles of race, ethnicity, gender, profession, religion, marital status, are secondary.

Ondoy woke me up. It roused me from a state of apathetic slumber. Before this, all my energies were devoted to dreams of personal gain - how I'm going to advance in my career, how I'm going to purchase my own pad and my own car, how I'm going to meet the man of my dreams, how I'm going to travel and see the world. Now I see how narrow-minded it is to be couped up in my little bubble of wants and wishlists, when all around me there is scarcity and poverty.

Not to say that I've taken up a cause to save the world. Nor will I give up my dreams. For without dreams, life has no meaning. I believe we were born to discover our gifts, hone them and use them so that we may bring joy to ourselves and to others.

It all boils down to giving LIFE - in all its forms, flora and fauna, the respect and reverence it deserves.

No comments: