Monday, August 25, 2008

Quit Making Excuses



Marianne Williamson once said: Our deepest fear is not that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond all measure.It is our light,not our darkness that most frightens us.We ask ourselves,Who am I to be brilliant,gorgeous,talented and fabulous?Actually,who are you not to be?You are a child of God.Your playing small doesn't serve the world .

It takes guts, courage,a considerable amount of risk-taking and a certain degree of self-knowledge and self-esteem to embrace one's power and potential. I believe that each of us has a mission, a reason for being. This mission is personal and unique - dictated by our circumstances, choices, passions and heartsongs. It is that which we are naturally inclined to do, that which we do best, that which brings us joy. But most importantly, it serves a greater purpose beyond personal gain. In other words, it adds value to the lives of the people around us.

This came to me recently: People in my age-range are restless - seeking that elusive sense of fulfillment. We pursue lucrative and meaningful career paths. We seek intimate and consummate relationships. We travel and explore. We take up hobbies and extreme sports. All in the hope of living a life extraordinary.

I believe that the physical and emotional wanderlust of this generation has the power to make the world a better place. If we can direct all this energy to the causes that matter - preserving the environment, responsible sexuality, ethical business practice, nation-building, poverty and illiteracy- imagine the difference we could make.

They say that youth is wasted on the young. I disagree. For I know several young individuals and groups who devote their time, energy and financial resources to the causes mentioned above. I commend them for this. I am inspired by them!

I work in the retail industry. It is a field driven by capitalism and profit. However there does exist a business model which promotes profitability and social responsibility. I strongly feel that this is where my personal mission comes in.

It's time to quit making excuses and stop playing small. It's time to embrace the light.




No comments: