Thursday, October 26, 2006

Becoming

The Salinas kids are growing wings.

Kuya Job is in Japan, undergoing formation for the priesthood.

I have recently plunged into my first official relationship.

Ninoy is learning how to drive.

My parents will never admit it but I think their BP's have gone up a notch. But they should trust that they've taught and raised us well. I may grow wings and fly off to destinations far away but I will always come home at some point. My family will always be the force that keeps me grounded. Not in the sense of limiting my freedom but in being a solid base of support from where I can lift off and land on.Whether it be on my feet or my ass.

*
My parents did not raise me to be a minion or to conform. They taught me to make my own decisions and accept the consequences. Of course as parents, they have a prescription for the best way to live a full and happy life, based on their own experiences. But they also realize that I am my own person and that I can make my own choices. They may not agree with them, but they accept me nonetheless.

Thanks Ma and Pa for allowing me to unfold. Thank you for not holding me back as I embarked on adventures that took me out of my comfort zone. Thank you for continuing to love me inspite of my recklessness and pride. Thank you for your stern reprimands and reality checks. Thank you for allowing me to grow wings.

You are my heroes.

No comments: